What IT Skills Are in Demand in 2023?
The data is in, and as more employees pursue skills hiring this year, there are some winners and losers in the race to build your IT stack. What’s hot this year? Cybersecurity, AI, and cloud computing top the lists. Given the shortage of cybersecurity experts, this set of skills will be in demand for years to come. As more companies incorporate artificial intelligence software and move their data to the cloud, look for these areas to experience significant growth in the coming years.
We know there’s been some “right sizing” in the IT space lately. If you’ve been laid off or are worried about your job, these skills will help you stay marketable to employers in the coming years.
Top Tech Skills for 2023
1. Cybersecurity is at the top of the list of hot skills to acquire this year. There were more than 700,000 open jobs in this field around this time last year; that number will increase this year, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. By 2031, look for the volume of these open roles to increase by 35%. That’s seven times faster than any other job in any sector. The most in-demand skills within cybersecurity include:
- Application security
- Cloud Security
- Intrusion detection
- Penetration testing
- Risk assessment
2. Cloud Computing will only increase your attractiveness to employers this year. It doesn’t matter if you’re dealing with established software like Oracle, an ERP, or Salesforce, where it’s hot in the cloud. If you have cloud deployment experience, this makes you a hot ticket—period. Employers will want to speak with you if you have experience with Azure, Google Cloud, or AWS. There are way more cloud engineering roles open right now than qualified experts to fill them. These positions rank in the top three IT certifications to seek out, so any investment in upgrading your skills will pay off. The most in-demand skills within cloud include:
- Application development and implementation
- Application programming interfaces (APIs)
- Cloud management and security
- Database management and storage
3. Artificial intelligence (AI) is working its way into everything. AI is made up of a variety of elements, including natural language processing (NLP), facial recognition, machine learning (ML), and more. Making computers more interactive and intelligent is a science apart from every other subset of the industry, but these powerful tools will impact every corner of our human/digital interactions.
As a science, AI has been around since the 50s. But the latest breakthroughs are almost scary, and employers are hungry for specialists to help them go further, faster. If you have AI skills, employment is almost assured. You can expect 97 million more jobs to crop up by 2025. Some of the hot skills in AI this year include:
- Data science
- Machine learning
Ready to Pursue a Career in IT?
If you’re ready to pursue a career in the field of IT, you’ve come to the right place. The Custom Group of Companies offers our candidates a massive job board to review the latest hot jobs in the tech field. Our recruiters are standing by to help you learn about these positions. When you’re ready, we can help.
WE’VE GOT ANSWERS:CONTACT US